At Distributed Media Lab (DML) we believe quality original media and journalism are foundational to society, economies, and democracy. We are focused on building products and technology that powers new media business models tailored for distribution and designed to support the quality original publishing industry.
DML was founded in 2018, and is headquartered in Palo Alto, CA. We operate as a distributed team and are committed to helping employees achieve a positive work-life balance. All positions are available remotely within the US. Direct applications only please, no recruiters.
The Associate Editor leads our editorial operations, primarily focusing on overseeing content planning, production, and curation. Responsibilities include directing our network of freelance content creators and collaborating with publisher partners. You will lead content strategies and manage the end-to-end editorial process to ensure original content and curated collections are developed on time, deliver reader value, and drive quality engagement.
Specific to original content creation, the Associate Editor will establish content strategies through the development of project briefs and content calendars and the assignment of articles to our freelance network. The Associate Editor will be responsible for project management to ensure articles meet project goals, align with DML editorial standards, and are published on time. In addition, the Associate Editor will be responsible for editing content and publishing via our CMS and/or other web publishing tools. We have an established network of talented freelancers but the Associate Editor may recruit additional freelance writers as needed.
Specific to content curation, the Associate Editor will manage curation strategy across the DML marketplace. In this capacity, the Associate Editor will establish marketplace content strategy, leverage DML’s curation platform to create engaging content collections, and collaborate with publisher partners to establish and support partner curation strategy.
We are a small team so each individual has the ability to make a big impact. You will be provided the opportunity to drive the direction of our original content business and curation efforts. You will be a highly visible team member with a particular focus on collaborating with editorial teams across our publisher partner network.
To succeed in this role, you must be able to operate with a great deal of autonomy; be the consummate team player, and be able to think 10 steps ahead while executing the next step with precision.
This is a full-time remote position and can be located anywhere in the US.
This is a full-time employment role with a base salary in the range of $85,000-$100,000 based on experience.
What you will do
- Establish project-specific content strategies through the development of project briefs and content calendars
- Meet with internal team members and clients to identify project goals and establish the content strategy
- Develop content pillars, article themes, content tone, keywords/negative keywords, and any other content direction and requirements
- Manage content projects via the company’s project management tool (Asana)
- Develop content projects and assign tasks to internal team members and freelance writers to ensure content projects are completed on time and align with project goals
- Serve as the primary point of contact for freelance writers through the project phase
- As needed, manage and recruit new freelance writers to enhance the quality of talent and content
Editing & Publishing
- Edit and finalize all content to ensure the highest quality content that aligns with project goals
- Utilize the company’s plagiarism check tool (Grammarly) to ensure all content is authentic
- As needed, utilize the company’s stock-photography resource (Getty Images) to add stock photographs
- Verify article links and sources as needed
- Publish content via CMS and/or other web publishing tools
- Manage content strategy across the DML marketplace
- Develop new curated content collection per defined content and audience strategies
- Collaborate with publisher partners to support collection development
- Provide ongoing thought leadership and training to publisher partners with a focus on supporting editorial teams to drive platform adoption and utilization
What you bring
- 5+ years of experience in Editor positions. Preferably at organizations with a focus on online publishing
- Strong understanding of the digital publishing and local media landscape
- Experience managing editorial operations
- Experience with producing and managing content calendars
- Experience with sponsored/branded content a PLUS
- Experience with SEO and producing SEO optimized content a PLUS
- Experience with social media content strategy a PLUS
- Strong communication skills
- Strong organizational and self-management skills
- Experience utilizing project management software
- Experience utilizing plagiarism detection software
- Experience serving as a client-facing contact
- Experience working in distributed (remote) teams is a plus
Who you are
- You are passionate about content and love leading the editorial process
- You believe original media and journalism are foundational to society, economies, and democracy
- You are not intimidated by the fast-paced, dynamic characteristics of startups
- You are driven by a sense of purpose and possess the confidence, competence, and willingness to be accountable
- You are a good communicator, able to work with cross-functional groups
- You can see the bigger picture while also enjoying getting into the details
What we offer
We will provide the opportunity to do purposeful work in an ego-free and collaborative team environment. Our culture is infused with passion and purpose, where curiosity is encouraged, conversation is lively and differing opinions are treated with respect. We expect you to make a significant impact. We also offer:
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Unlimited vacation
- Parental leave
- Health, dental, and vision
We carefully hire the best talent we can find, which means actively seeking diversity of beliefs, backgrounds, education, and ways of thinking. We strive to build an inclusive culture where differences are celebrated and leveraged to inform better design and business decisions. DML is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition, family care status, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal laws.
How to Apply
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Direct applications only please, no recruiters.